Thursday, December 25, 2014

The 20SGD pacer

Hi,

Priced at $19.99, the Mi Band is touted to be a direct competitor of FitBit and Jawbone. While the other 2 are in the range of $100+, I only have the budget to buy a Mi Band and play with it.

Looking at its specs published on its official site, Mi Band is supposed to last 30 days. It is supposed to trace your daily movement and track your sleep. But I guess the most important part of it is that it vibrates when you have an incoming call! This particular function would ensure that no more phone calls are missed!
http://www.mi.com/sg/miband/

Basic Information
Mi Band from Xiao Mi
Asus ZenFone 5 2GB ram 16GB memory

To go into more details,

Battery Life

Upon using it for 6 days, the battery life is still healthy at 79%. If we do the math, its 21% for 6 days, which means it should last for approximately ~30 days.

The issue here is that, although the Mi Band battery does well, your hand phone battery wouldn't last if you just leave your bluetooth on all day to sync automatically.
And you would require your Mi Band synced to get the band to vibrate when there is a phone call.


Sleep Tracking

One interesting stuff the Mi Band does is sleep tracking. I have no idea how it does it, but the main issue here is, so what if you know about your quality of sleep? How can you improve it or what can you do with these information? Well, for myself, I guess the answer is to sleep more, and to exercise more so you can sleep better.




And for how accurate it is?
Can't prove it either! 
But it is pretty cool to post it on facebook, and people will start asking what app are you using to get these data. So if you are an attention whore, get this before the craze die down!
You will get many comments regarding your sleep pattern!


Fitness Tracking (pacer)

This is the main function of it. To trace how much have you walk. I tried shaking the device hopefully it detects a step taken. But apparently, it is pretty well calibrated and only count a step when one is really taken. The calories burnt was pretty depressing, given that I did walk 10000 steps a day.



But oh well, I do know this thing won't produce enough motivation to make me feel like walking more!


Good or Bad?

It is an inexpensive toy to play with. However, some considerations are required.
Firstly, despite being an English app, there pretty much stuffs still in chinese, albeit being not really important.
Secondly, it is pretty useless, apart from it being able to vibrate when there is a call and being a wearable alarm clock. The vibration would not be enough to wake up a sleeping log (me), and it doesn't vibrate for long since touching it would disable the vibration(my pillow touches it and it stop vibrating) 
So if you do not have many people calling you(foreveralone people like me don't really need it), and the alarm feature is not useful to you, this is not a product for you!

Thirdly, its support for IOS. It is built to compliment the MiUI or XiaoMi phones. So naturally, for IOS, there is only a Chinese app for it. You better be able to understand chinese before buying this.

Fourth, DO NOT LOSE YOUR USB CHARGING CABLE. I have no idea where can I get a replacement and apparently XiaoMi don't sell them either. So i guess you dump the whole set if you lose the charging cable. TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT!

Personally, it is just an inexpensive toy that i wear in hope to motivate me to do more sports. Granted, I have fewer missed calls, but I don't really have much calls to begin with. Wearing it for long time also makes you uncomfortable if you are not used to it. It causes my phone to die faster due to the bluetooth being on. It doesn't really affect me since i hide in office or home with power plugs charging my phone constantly.


Lastly, 6 days of usage doesn't give a very good insights of the product.
So i guess if i could be disciplined enough to wear it for 30 days, I would post another review on this!

20SGD? can buy and play lar. But not a necessity, and not really that awesome.
It's more of the uselessness of the use case, less of the product. I must say the product quality is good!



Update: 22/03/2015
I bought a total of 4, one for personal use and 3 other for other people. Of these 4, 3 are required to be sent back to service center due to being unable to connect. I must say, i am deeply disappointed with the quality. But hey! its only 20 dollars and it have 1 year warranty!
And as of today, my band is broken(the little hook that allows u to slot it in), and to buy a replacement, it costs me $9.90sgd at Comex, or $3.90 from some Carousell seller.
Battery life is godly. 25days and its at 70+%. seemed like if you do not check the damn damn every other seconds, its damn good!



Best Regards
Benjamin Chai

No comments:

Post a Comment